Re: Emacs development...

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: Emacs development...
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2021 12:25:07 +1000

Jean-Christophe Helary <lists@traduction-libre.org> writes:

> mark for upgrade with U
> filter on marked with / m
> remove the filter with / /
> the marks for upgrade are gone.
>
> generally speaking / / will remove any mark, not just upgrade ones. I guess
> the
> fact that this bug has remained in the code for so longs says something about
> how often the filter feature is used.

Yes, I never use it :-).

I guess I'd probably classify this as a specification bug rather than a
more fundamental bug. Exactly what / / clears needs to be clarified. Is
there a use case where you would actually want the upgrade marks removed
as well? Perhaps the simplicity of clearing all marks and then just
running package-refresh-contents to get back the list of packages which
can be upgraded is a justifiable approach which keeps the filter removal
function less complex and therefore less error prone?

It could be nobody has reported this as a bug because they don't
consider it to be a bug. There doesn't seem to be anything in the
documentation which would make me expect upgrade marks would not be
removed, so I would probably consider what you are proposing as a
feature enhancement rather than a bug fix. Then again, as I stated, I
don't use this function, so really don't have any skin in the game.