Re: Emacs development...

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: Emacs development...
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2021 21:28:07 +0900

> On Aug 21, 2021, at 21:05, Konstantin Kharlamov <hi-angel@yandex.ru> wrote:
>
> On Sat, 2021-08-21 at 16:50 +0900, Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:
>>

>>> On Aug 21, 2021, at 16:16, Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Jean-Christophe Helary <lists@traduction-libre.org> writes:
>>>
>>> Hi Jean-Christophe,

>>> That, and also M-. on a function call or variable will bring you to its
>>> definition.
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> Sorry for this very basic question, what's the best way to navigate back to
>> where I was ?
>
> Seems to me, you don't have a workflow yet for development in general through
> Emacs. Because questions like "how to go to definition" and "how to go back"
> aren't really specific to ELisp, it's something you'd use while working with
> pretty much any language, be it C, Python, Haskell, C++, Rust… The only
> question you asked specific to ELisp is about debugging ELisp code.

Thank you Konstantin

I guess that's the case, but I was not even asking for *debugging*, just to see
how values change over the run of a piece of code. If *that* is called
"debugging", there is a discoverability issue.

I saw the EDE mode but even after reading its manual I was not sure how that
could be put to use to ease work inside Emacs list code.

So I guess I'll stick to edebug, M-. and M-, eldoc, highlight-defined,
which-key, helpful. Right now they seem to be a good minimal setting for what I
want to do.

--
Jean-Christophe Helary @brandelune
https://mac4translators.blogspot.com