Re: New Context Menu

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: New Context Menu
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2021 09:53:17 +0300

> Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2021 08:20:47 +0200
> From: Ergus <spacibba@aol.com>
> Cc: juri@linkov.net, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> 1) In a gui clicking (fast) mouse-X produces 2 events <down-mouse-X> +
> <mouse-X> and emacs translates them to <down-mouse-X> + <mouse-X> ->
> <mouse-X> when they are fast enough.
>
> 2) In a gui, holding mouse-X produces 1 event <down-mouse-X> and after a
> small delay emacs processes the event, so releasing the button after
> that delay is seen as an independent event <mouse-X>. In this case there
> are two events and they are not merged as in 1.
>
> 3) In xterm, clicking (fast) mouse-X produces 2 events as well
> <down-mouse-X> + <mouse-X> but emacs does not translate them; that means
> that <down-mouse-X> is processed (shows the menu) and then <mouse-X> is
> also processes (hides the menu and selects).
>
> 4) In xterm, holding mouse-X and the releasing after a while is exactly
> the same as 3).
>
> So as I said before, in xterm emacs does not use such a delay on tui, it
> needs to be added or somehow provide a criteria to translate
> <down-mouse-X> + <mouse-X> into <mouse-X> when it is done fast enough.

And why are these differences a problem?

You may be unaware of the terrible complexity and the hoops we jump
through to display menus on TTY frames, and to process mouse events on
such frames in general, but I can assure you those complexities are
real.  It is a small surprise that given that, there are differences
in how these are presented to Emacs.