Re: Add a configure option for NATIVE_FULL_AOT?

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Add a configure option for NATIVE_FULL_AOT?
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 15:13:05 +0200

On Fri, Aug 20, 2021 at 02:06:39PM +0200, Arthur Miller wrote:
> tomas@tuxteam.de writes:
>
> > On Thu, Aug 19, 2021 at 11:17:57PM +0200, Arthur Miller wrote:
> >> <tomas@tuxteam.de> writes:

[...]

> > on it you've got your shining new $10K Linux laptop), .el wouldn't go
> > there.
> Is there a laptop that costs $10k? What is deal with that? Cover made of
> gold? :-)

There used to be [1], but alas, the times, the times ;-)

[...]

> But with Emacs one might wish to modify sources (at least in theory)

And in practice. Your "But..." somehow suggests someone is trying
to prevent the user from doing that. I wouldn't touch such a
distribution :-)

> even if when not compiling them to elc or eln. I don't know why would
> someone wish to run only interpretted code, but a theoretical
> possibility. Even docs are subject of use modification. I mean at least
> on ideological level. Emacs is very atypical application in this regard.

Suppose I hear about this nice function `dired-jump' I do C-x f and
find out it's in `dired.el.gz', which is in a system location, and
thus read-only. I write it to my own location, which for me is in
~/.emacs.d/lisp, change that to my heart's content.

Due to how `load-path' is set up, this modified version takes precedence.
I take over responsibility for this one file and let the package manager
(or, in my case, Emacs's "make install") to take care of the other
7878 files. The package manager (or "make install") won't touch "my"
file.

That would be the "low profile" approach.

Of course, if I want to keep that up for a longer time, I'd clone
the Emacs repo and open a branch there. Or download the Emacs Debian
source package, if my aim is to package my personal changes to Emacs.

> But as suggested by several here, I can also agree that is more
> pragmatic to just download/copy whichever file needs to be modified and
> place it elsewhere, so I don't think we have to be super lazer precise
> of what goes where.

Hacking "in place" things which are installed by a package manager (or
by an install script) is a recipe for pain: it's you against the computer.
The computer always wins :-)

> > To get an idea on what Debian (courtesy of the Emacsen maintainer,
> > Rob Browning) puts there for Emacs, have a look at [1].

> I actually run emacs from source dir. I compile it every few days, so it
> does not really make sense to me to run make-install and copy over
> everything to some other directory every now and then.

Hm. I do, too, but I always do "make install".

>                                                  Also when running
> from source directory, without compressing sources, looking up stuff
> with built in help is more efficient, and even on my i7 6700k desktop
> with 32 gig ram and m.2 970 Pro drive feels faster. I still though copy
> lisp file I wish to modify elsewhere, and if wish changes to persist I
> copy entire function somewhere to my config and re-eval it after Emacs
> starts. That way I don't have to switch branches when I wish to pull
> latest and rebuild, or have two source trees etc. I don't know. Many
> ways to play with a dear child.

Sure :)

[...]

> > That's why I was so surprised to see the tendency here "every user
> > has all of their .eln files in a local place" [...] Eli seems to
> > be convinced of this, and he's a much smarter person than me.
> > Interesting :-)
>
> I have learned is that what Eli says is usually the right thing to do,

Same with me, that's why this situation is "interesting" :-)

Cheers

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_ThinkPad_Power_Series

 - t