Re: New Context Menu

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: New Context Menu
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 15:03:04 +0200

Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 14:26:05 +0200
From: Ergus <spacibba@aol.com>
Cc: Juri Linkov <juri@linkov.net>, emacs-devel@gnu.org

>> I don't understand how the behavior of the context menu could be
>> different from the behavior of the old binding [C-down-mouse-3]
>> when both have the same implementation.
>
>I cannot say I understand that in detail, either, but the fact is it
>does.  Maybe it's translation from C-down-mouse-3 to C-mouse-3?

No. C-down-mouse-3 is a modified mouse event; emacs gets it but not the
equivalent up events (C-up-mouse-3 for example) but it gets somehow the
up-mouse-3 event.

There's no up-mouse-N events in Emacs, AFAIK.  There's only
down-mouse-N events and mouse-N events; the latter are generated when
Emacs internally sees the Nth button pressed and released.

Maybe the problem is that mouse-N events are generated when we release
the mouse-N key. But no C-mouse-N event is generated when Control is
hold and mouse-N key released.

If this is intended, then it is the reason why the context-menu behavior
is different than other menus bound to modified mouse events.

For example:

Try C-down-mouse-3 then Release Control and after that release the mouse
button. You will see a similar issue.

What issue is that?

When you do what you describe, Emacs doesn't generate the C-mouse-3
event because it never sees the button released with the Ctrl
modifier.  This is expected and documented.