Re: Add a configure option for NATIVE_FULL_AOT?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Add a configure option for NATIVE_FULL_AOT?
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 11:09:23 +0300

> Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 09:27:06 +0200
> From: <tomas@tuxteam.de>
>
> I agree that this problem hasn't a trivial (or unique) solution.
> But this is something for distros to solve. Emacs has just to
> provide the mechanisms to make that possible (and, as far as I
> can see, it does).

This discussion started when a distro came here asking for a change
where Emacs already provides the mechanism to make that possible.  So
evidently, distros don't expect to have to solve all such problems by
themselves, they want some of them solved upstream.  I have no doubt
that at least some of the problems caused by AOT native-compilation
will be brought back to us for a solution.  Which is as it should be,
of course; all I'm saying since the beginning of this thread is that
we are opening a can of worms we didn't consider important enough till
now, and I fear it will affect the schedule for Emacs 28 release.  I'm
not against the change; if it's what many people want, we should
provide it.  But during the last 8 months this paradigm wasn't
considered as important, and therefore it could be that some parts of
the implementation will produce unpleasant surprises when AOT
compilation is used.