Re: Add a configure option for NATIVE_FULL_AOT?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Add a configure option for NATIVE_FULL_AOT?
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 10:11:20 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>,  tomas@tuxteam.de,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 21:19:13 -0400
>
> Fundamentally, .eln files are generated from .elc files (tho
> currently, the code works a bit differently, which is arguably a bug,
> which may(will?) bump into the above problem with .el files).

Currently, AFAIU native compilation is a side effect of byte
compilation, in the sense that byte compilation _drives_ the
native-compiler passes which produce the intermediate-language
representation of the Lisp being compiled, to be submitted to the
libgccjit library for producing the native code.  So I'm not sure
describing this as "from .elc fils" is close enough to the reality to
be helpful for understanding the process of native-compilation.
Andrea will correct me, but I don't see how one can switch to using
the .elc files as input for the native-compiler, as some information
about the program structure is probably missing from there.