xterm [menu] key definition

From: Ergus
Subject: xterm [menu] key definition
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 04:47:28 +0200

Hi:

Due to the recent context-menu feature I was trying to bind the [menu]
key to the context-menu and just noticed that on xterm emacs detects the
menu key as [print]; so it does not trigger the execute-extended-command
(which is bound to <execute>, <menu> and M-x by default).

cat+xterm shows that the menu key sends "\e[29~"

Grepping in the term directory there is.

lk201.el:35:    (define-key map "\e[29~" [menu])
rxvt.el:67:    (define-key map "\e[29~" [S-f6])
xterm.el:353:    (define-key map "\e[29~" [print])

And xev says that "\e[29~" is actually [Menu] and detects it properly so
there is a mismatch here.

I don't know if this is an issue or some design choice made long time
ago (in 2007), but it makes that the menu button does not behave the
same in xterm, gui or rxvt. The user can go around this binding [Print]
to whatever, but if there is not a reason, then maybe it worth doing.

(define-key map "\e[29~" [menu]) in xterm.el too?

I don't actually know about any keyboard with a print button... But I
suppose there should be some. If someone has it; please could you check
with xev and cat+xterm what it sends?

Thanks in advance,
Ergus