Re: Add a configure option for NATIVE_FULL_AOT?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Add a configure option for NATIVE_FULL_AOT?
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 16:45:42 +0300

> Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 15:32:33 +0200
> From: tomas@tuxteam.de
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > They can, and they do.  See native-comp-eln-load-path.  Assuming I
> > understood correctly what bothers you.
>
> Thanks.
>
> I think you do. Well, I'm quite certain :)
>
> Then what would prevent a distribution from distributing their .eln
> files to go somewhere in /usr/lib/emacs.../<version>/..., to be
> overriden by the user when needed?

I don't think I understand.  load-path is used for only one purpose:
finding Lisp files you want to load.  It is not used to decide where
to _write_ *.elc files.  The same with native-comp-eln-load-path (but
see below).  So how can this variable solve the problem at hand, which
is where to store *.eln files produced by compilation?

We actually do use native-comp-eln-load-path to also decide where to
store the *.eln files, but that uses a simplistic heuristic that
treats the last element of the list specially.  The heuristic is
hard-coded in several places, so not easily overridden.

> I've been following the native compilation threads with quite some
> excitement, but I'm sure I haven't digested many "interesting"
> details :)

"Interesting" as in the infamous Chinese curse?

It's those "interesting" details that bother me: I needed to think
about them and discuss them with Andrea many times over the last
months, and in many cases the issue was put to rest by considering the
JIT scenario.  I don't know what would have happened if we considered
the AOT scenario as seriously as people want us to do now.