Re: Don't add tags to ELPA packages -- documentation?

From: Bozhidar Batsov
Subject: Re: Don't add tags to ELPA packages -- documentation?
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 11:15:37 +0300

Makes perfect sense. Thanks for the response!

I've only used (NonGNU) ELPA with remote upstreams, that's why I wasn't sure for whom
exactly does this conversation apply.

On 2021-08-18 18:41, Bozhidar Batsov wrote:
> I'm a bit confused by the conversation so far. Can someone elaborate
> on "maintainers have explicitly pushed their tags to the ELPA repo"?
> I do tag all the releases of my packages, as that's a common (and
> good) practice, but I don't understand why would something like this
> be affecting ELPA negatively.

It won't.  Not unless you went out of your way to make it a problem.

Your "single project repository" is not the ELPA repo.  The ELPA repo
contains all of the packages in that archive.

This whole discussion only applies if you are manually pushing code
changes to the ELPA repo.  If your package is defined as an external
repo for ELPA's build processes to fetch automatically, then you aren't
pushing *anything* to the ELPA repo at all.

> Does it sync the tags from the remotes or what?

No, it doesn't, so tags can't be a problem if ELPA is fetching the
updates itself.

> In general I don't think that something like "stop tagging your
> releases upstream" is a good solution.

Keep tagging to your heart's content in your own repository.  Just
don't push those tags to the ELPA repo (which you would need to do
explicitly with options to the "git push" command).

> Adding a prefix to the tag name (e.g. the package name) also seems
> weird in the context of a single project repository.

Again, this was purely in the context of the multi-project ELPA repo.
If someone particularly wanted tags in the ELPA repo for a package,
then the tags would need to be namespaced with a prefix in order to
avoid potential clashes.

-Phil