Re: [NonGNU ELPA] New package proposal: highlight-parentheses.el

From: Adam Porter
Subject: Re: [NonGNU ELPA] New package proposal: highlight-parentheses.el
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2021 08:38:53 -0500

Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm maintaining highlight-parentheses.el [1] and would like to push it
> to NonGNU ELPA.
>
> Comments?  If it's ok, I think I know how to push it (or come back to
> you, Stefan, once I've messed up. ;-)).

Hi Tassilo,

This looks very useful.  I think I've seen the package's name before,
but I'm not sure I ever looked at it.  That may be partially due to its
somewhat ambiguous name, that seems to resemble similar packages.  For
example, I'm pretty sure I've conflated it with the built-in
show-paren-mode.  And I guess users could generally think it does
something like rainbow-delimiters.el or prism.el, even though it serves
a different purpose.

If I may engage in a little bikeshedding, would you consider giving it a
more descriptive name?  Maybe something like highlight-surrounding, or
highlight-enclosing?  That would help distinguish it from other
parens-highlighting packages and better describe what it does.