Re: oauth2 support for Emacs email clients

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: oauth2 support for Emacs email clients
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2021 17:56:58 +0200

>> Well, you could just use Thunderbird's. It's all right here:
>>
>> https://github.com/mozilla/releases-comm-central/blob/master/mailnews/base/src/OAuth2Providers.jsm
>>
>> You shouldn't though, because that could get you in trouble.
>>
>> While all this stuff is essentially security theatre, good luck
>> explaining that to your IT security department...
>
> I explained to my IT administrator that I'd like to use Emacs for email.
> Others should too.  There's no shame in it. :-)

That's not what I meant. Your administrators might think that they have
only allowed Thunderbird to access IMAP, while in reality they have
whitelisted everything, because you can trivially copy the client-ID and
-secret from Thunderbird's source. That's what I mean with "security
theatre" - everyone's just sticking to the script.

-David