Re: Building a tarball with native-compilation support

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Building a tarball with native-compilation support
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2021 10:37:10 -0400

> Yes, there are valid reasons to have the *.elc files in the tarball:
>
>   . They make the build faster, because the step of using only *.el
>     for COMPILE_FIRST is avoided;
>   . They are a must if the user wants Emacs without native-compilation
>     support, and in that case make the build extremely fast;
>   . They provide canonical *.elc files produce on a system where most
>     of the *.el files can be meaningfully byte-compiled because the
>     related functionality is supported.

Interesting.  The second point is the one I remembered (it does make
a very substantial difference, indeed).  I'm not sure what the first
point means, really (it seems to be just a subset of the second point).

The third point is new to me: which .el files can't be meaningfully
bytecompiled on all systems?

        Stefan