Re: Make ELPA and nongnu elpa more accessible

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Make ELPA and nongnu elpa more accessible
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2021 12:41:45 -0400

> index.html is the html file that I intend to edit. As for README, I think it
> is targeted towards developer/admin of ELPA,

Actually, it's not.  (instead, it's been largely written by
developer/admin of ELPA, and the result shows :-(  Part of the reason
also is that it used to be impossible to build a single tarball at
a time, so a developer who wanted to test the build of its own package
had to setup a complete ELPA archive).

> rather than someone who just want to add his package to ELPA.

Note that this someone will start thinking all they need to know is how
to write the `elpa-packages` spec, but soon enough they'll also need to
learn about how elpa.gnu.org decides to build a new package and which
commit is used to build a particular version.  And they may also want to
check the result of building the tarball before a release (or to test
their spec), so they may also want to know about `make build/<PKG>`, ...

Which is why the README has a lot of info.

> And it obscures the fact that adding your package to ELPA is
> extremely easy.

Yes, it's in dire need of love.  Patches welcome.

Note also that we have 3 READMEs:
- one for GNU ELPA
- one for NonGNU ELPA
- one for the elpa-admin scripts (i.e. that's the one that should
  describe the format of the `elpa-packages` specs, the rules about
  `Version:`, etc...).

The READMEs for GNU ELPA and NonGNU ELPA should be reasonably short and
focus on the differences between the two: mostly the respective URLs and
the rules that we want packages to abide to w.r.t. Free Software
and copyright.

        Stefan