Re: master b72f885: Make dlet work like let, not let*

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: master b72f885: Make dlet work like let, not let*
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2021 14:40:16 +0300

> From: Michael Heerdegen <michael_heerdegen@web.de>
> Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2021 05:09:57 +0200
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > So what are your suggestions regarding this issue?  Leave it as it is
> > now, go back to what we had before, something else?
>
> If you want another opinion: I find the name mildly confusing too.  It
> has the potential that people write broken code (vs. we brake code
> because of this change now).
>
> And I think this is that kind of thing that tends to be discussed again
> and again.

This is not the issue which bothered me, not at all.  What bothers me
is that we discuss the name of a macro that has been in our sources
for more than a year, and people and packages might depend on it.
Discussions about names should have been held a year ago, not now.
Now this is at most a minor issue that unfortunately slipped through
the cracks, and we shouldn't waste energy on arguing about it, same as
we do with typos or omissions in Git commit log messages: water under
the bridge.

> But it is definitely an extremely rarely used macro.  FWIW, I can't
> remember the name for other reasons, I always search for something named
> "fluid-let" (Scheme) or "dynamical-let" (vs. "lexical-let" we had
> in the past) - but that may be only me.

If I learned something during my 30+ years of using and developing
Emacs it's that usage patterns differ wildly between people.  What
looks rare and unimportant to me and you could be someone's bread and
butter.