Re: oauth2 support for Emacs email clients

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: oauth2 support for Emacs email clients
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2021 22:02:44 +0000

Upon authentication, oauth2.el does not support `access_type=offline'. It is my understanding that this is needed to get upon authorization not only an access token, but also a refresh token. The latter is needed to grant an app continuous access beyond the short lifetime of an access token.

Your understanding is correct, except that AFAIK it is not "needed", at least not in general. But of course as you might guess each provider implemented their own variant / extensions of the OAuth protocol. If you need these parameters in your case, you can add them in oauth2-request-authorization.

However, the emacs url machinery also lacks the code that is needed to use the referesh token in order to request a new access token if the current access token has expired.

This should work AFAIU; I don't use oauth2.el myself, but a comment says "If the token needs to be refreshed, the code handles it automatically and store the new value of the access token", and that refreshing mechanism is an essential part of OAuth, if it is not present OAuth is not usable.