Re: A proposal for a friendlier Emacs

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: A proposal for a friendlier Emacs
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2020 18:32:20 +0300

* Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com> [2020-10-20 16:08]:
> I would like to have an easy to loookup dictionary from Lisp posibly for
> automatically translating of GUI ites. I have always thought of creating
> an sqlite database of "programming" dictionary where some common gui
> items are put together like (file, menu, cut, copy, paste, etc) and
> indexed for use in programms. In a Lisp program sqlite is not even
> needed.

You mean very simple and common words?

If there are not too many, Lisp structure is enough, that is how I am
using it in some CGI scripts for multi languages.

Emacs Lisp package could then just find if such word exists, if it
does not exist, it could ask you to translate, and it could fetch
definitions from dictionary to help you.

There is wordnut package for looking up into Wordnet dictionary, it is
free as in freedom dictionary, it is fast, and pressing enter on words
leads you to new words.

> I have no idea how those dictionary servers work, never used one, but
> maybe it is something applications could use to translate software too;
> at least simpler part like some common GUI stuff.

Not automatically if you mean that, it is not translation word by word.