Re: Relevance of `baud-rate' in the 2020s?

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Relevance of `baud-rate' in the 2020s?
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2020 12:02:23 +0300

* Stefan Kangas <stefan@marxist.se> [2020-10-23 00:12]:
> So there is this nifty variable called `baud-rate'.  It can be used to
> enable some special display hacks if you are on a connection slower than
> 2400 baud.  It enables you, I guess, to run Emacs 27.1 on that spanking
> new 1987 modem that you have just been dying to get your hands on.

Modems and direct connections are used today. Many government offices
in various countries use for us in Western Countries obsolete old
hardware. There are also organizations using direct modem transfers
and connection rather than Internet for security purposes.

Don't know for Emacs, I just say modems are in use, there are phones
with modems and people could be connecting to their computers over
modems. On my computer there is modem and I am buying older phones
with modems for mass fax and SMS marketing purposes. I am just giving
you different view points.

Dial up Internet is still used in many countries.

Here is article before 2013:
https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/12-outdated-technologies-refuse-to-die

The last time I had a dial-up account, I set it to download the Starr
report. I said bye bye bye to Earthlink right after that and started
getting jiggy with a broadband connection. However, according to a
December study by the Pew Internet & American Life Project, 4 percent
of American adults still use a modem to get online. That’s more than
10 million people accessing the Web at 56.6 or slower speeds. Some of
these folks are among the 6 percent of Americans who live in areas
without broadband access, while others either can't afford or are too
cheap to pay for high-speed services.

Now is 7 years later, there scan be still many people using
modems. When using modems, modem may switch on bad network connection
to lower baud rate, I do not know for 2400 but I know it is possible.

--
Jean Louis