Re: etc/HELLO: On Chinese and Cantonese

From: Mingde (Matthew) Zeng
Subject: Re: etc/HELLO: On Chinese and Cantonese
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2020 19:03:15 -0400

> Is it correct in written language?

Although Yuan pointed out that it is common greeting in Cantonese (my bad, as
I'm not too familiar with Cantonese, apologies for sounding far too certain
when I shouldn't be), "早晨" means "good morning", and "good morning" is also a
common greeting among English speakers, it definitely shouldn't appear in the
file dedicated to HELLO. While "你好", which directly means "hello", same among
simplified or traditional, should be only the word appearing in the file HELLO.

> And then try to find some greetings that are actually different in the
> two scripts.  I don't think they need to be natural in spoken language,
> but they would have to be technically correct in the written language.
> If they are unusual, that is fine, because the purpose is mostly to show
> the difference between the scripts.
>
> Does that proposal make sense?

If you _have to_ find a greeting closest to 你好 that's different in simplified
and traditional, I propose 你好吗 (simplified) / 你好嗎 (traditional).
However it means "hello?" (with a question mark) or "how are you?", still
slightly different from the simple and universal 你好. :-(

--
Mingde (Matthew) Zeng