Re: etc/HELLO: On Chinese and Cantonese

From: Mingde (Matthew) Zeng
Subject: Re: etc/HELLO: On Chinese and Cantonese
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2020 02:45:45 -0400

This email brings me to look at the etc/HELLO file for the first time.

As a Chinese myself, I must point out that there is virtually _no_ Chinese who
would say "早晨, 你好" when they greet someone, regardless of whether they speak
Mandarin or Cantonese. Although it is technically correct, it is _super_ weird
for someone to say it this way.

Basically the meaningful difference between Mandarin and Cantonese on paper is
that the former uses simplified Chinese and the latter uses traditional
Chinese. Fortuntaely, when it comes to greet someone, both mandarin and
cantonese use "你好", which is the same in both simplified and traditional.

Therefore I propose to rmeove the Cantonese line entirely, and change
"(中文,普通话,汉语)" to "(中文)"

Matthew

--
Mingde (Matthew) Zeng