Re: Best way to sync package versions between Emacs and GNU ELPA?

From: Kévin Le Gouguec
Subject: Re: Best way to sync package versions between Emacs and GNU ELPA?
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2020 19:56:09 +0200

Protesilaos Stavrou <info@protesilaos.com> writes:

> My question to the developers: is there some way to reduce the workload
> on all sides, while ensuring parity between the two sources?

IIUC it is possible to keep your package only in emacs.git, and mark it
as a ":core" package in elpa.git[1].  If I'm not mistaken, this makes
releasing a new version on GNU ELPA as simple as bumping the package's
"Version:" tag in emacs.git.

(I've never authored a package so I obviously don't have any first-hand
experience with this.  Sorry if I'm making stuff up.)

[1] Search for ":core" in elpa.git/external-list:
    http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/elpa.git/tree/externals-list