Re: Suggest installing more fonts?

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Suggest installing more fonts?
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2020 13:31:01 +0200

Hi Lars,

> I've been frustrated by this before, and I've resorted to saying "apt
> install fonts-*' or something, which isn't really ideal, so if Emacs
> could provide some guidance here (without us having to maintain a
> never-ending list of fonts), I think that would be helpful.
>
> I just looked at the HELLO file on this system, and these are the fonts
> that Emacs has chosen (there's no tofu in the buffer):

See recent discussion in bug#43887. In order to see all symbols in
etc/HELLO, I had to apply on Ubuntu 20.04

$ sudo apt-get install fonts-noto-core

On Fedora 32, I have applied

$ sudo yum install google-noto-sans-javanese-fonts
google-noto-sans-tai-viet-fonts

Likely, this works also for the other Debian and Red Hat derivates.

However, I don't know whether we want to recommend Google Noto fonts
<https://www.google.com/get/noto/>. They use the Open Font License 1.1
<https://github.com/googlefonts/noto-fonts/>, but I don't know whether
this license counts as free.

In Emacs, the file INSTALL recommends to install
intlfonts-VERSION.tar.gz. Might be sufficient, but without further
instruction I doubt every Emacs user will be able to follow.

> So that'd be just about all the fonts (and possibly packages) we'd have
> to mention on the font help page.

And/or better instructions in the INSTALL file.

Best regards, Michael.