Re: adding to emacs coding standard / formatting

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: adding to emacs coding standard / formatting
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2020 17:32:57 +0300

> Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2020 23:10:02 -0400
> From: Boruch Baum <boruch_baum@gmx.com>
>
> I had expecting symbol definitions to be grouped together by symbol type
> and function, eg. all `defcustom's to be listed together in a section
> beginning "^;;; Customization variables:", and so on for symbol
> categories ";;; Global variables:", ";;; Buffer-local variables", ";;;
> Internal functions:", ";;; Hook functions:", ";;; Interactive
> functions:", etc.

Many packages group together defcustoms, variables, and functions that
belong to a logical sub-group of features (and  normally indicate such
a group with a ^L character).  I don't see why we should disallow such
organization, it is useful to have related stuff close.

> Also, this is an opportunity to address a pet peeve: I occasionally see
> code either defining keybindings to lambda functions, or setting lambda
> functions as elements of function lists (eg. lists of hook functions).
> I'd like to propose that those uses be banned because of their
> difficulty to modify.

Where would you allow lambda functions, then?