Re: Suggest installing more fonts?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Suggest installing more fonts?
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2020 09:44:10 -0400

>> > AFAIK, "most other applications", at least those I could investigate,
>> > come with fixed lists of fonts to use for each script.  These lists
>> > are maintained for each OS and are adjusted as the OS version and the
>> > fonts change.  This method has its advantages and also its
>> > disadvantages; I think both are quite clear.
>> But then it means that "installing more fonts" is not really the solution
>> that the user needs to follow, right?
> I'm not sure how you reached this conclusion.

I understood what you wrote above as saying that the only extra info
other apps have is a "fixed lists of fonts to use for each script".
So if they can display the text correctly with that extra list, it
follows that installing more fonts is not necessary for Emacs to also
display the text properly.  I guess you're right that it doesn't imply
that installing more fonts isn't also a solution, tho.

        Stefan