Re: Suggest installing more fonts?

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Suggest installing more fonts?
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2020 13:09:58 +0000

Let's keep the discussion in context, okay? The context was the complaints that Emacs displays tofu where other applications display characters from installed fonts (which aren't GNU Unifont). It is those use cases that I was talking about. Where Emacs behaves no worse than other apps is in a different category. More about that below.

That was not the meaning of Lars' message 24 hours ago:

I think, over the years, the most common question users have that has an easy-to-fix solution is: "Why is Emacs displaying boxes for some of these characters I'm seeing?" The solution is "install some more fonts", of course.

But could Emacs be more helpful here? That is, could we somehow, unobtrusively, tell the users this when Emacs is trying to display a character that it has no fonts for?

For added helpfulness, would it be possible for Emacs to be even more specific? Like, say "sudo apt install fonts-noto-color-emoji fonts-symbola", or whatever, depending on the system.

About the use cases you are talking about, I haven't seen cases where "Emacs displays tofu where other applications display characters from installed fonts". My experience is that Emacs behaves better than many other applications in this respect (except for the particular case of Emojis).

The Emoji problem was already analyzed and a solution is in the works which will not look anywhere like the above (setting up the fontset is not enough, btw). Let's move on to problems for which we don't yet have a solution, okay?

I was not aware that you were working on a solution to the Emoji problem before I read your last email. My (admittedly hacky) solution works fine, in fact it makes Emacs behave better than any other program (browser or editor) on my computer, so I don't understand why you write that it's not enough. I'll continue to use it, until the better solution arrives.

The meaning of my proposal was, in fact, the exact opposite of an admission of defeat, it was to make Emacs better in that respect than all other apps. Displaying a tofu is an admission of defeat, and it's what all other apps do.

Using Unifont is a defeat in the sense that we don't do better by finding a good font. The Unifont "solution" is already in Emacs, see the setting of fontset-default. So if you are willing to settle for Unifont, we already do that. IMO, we should try to find ways to do better than that.

My proposal was for the cases where _no_ suitable font exists. In that case it is by definition impossible to find a good font. And no, the Unifont solution is not already _in_ Emacs, because it requires to install a particular additional package/font (Unifont), which is something most users will not do. The meaning of my proposal was only to include it _in_ Emacs, in short, to use, when it exists, the Unifont glyph in produce_glyphless_glyph() instead of creating a tofu with a hexcode. (For example, C-h h should IMO not display a single tofu.)

Do you read the Tamil script (I don't)? If not, we should ask someone who does what they think about the Unifont glyphs. (To my un-expert eyes, the right-most glyph looks completely unrecognizable with Unifont, but that's me.)

I do not read the Tamil script, but when I compare this to the variety of fonts in the languages I read, I doubt a Tamil reader would be unable to understand that text because that right-most glyph is not exactly positioned as it should be.

In any case, it is never a bad idea to try find better ways of handling this situation than we already have. For starters, I'm not sure I understand what kinds of situation is it that the user wants to read Tamil text, but the system isn't ready for that wrt installed fonts.

This does happen in practice. For example when opening a source file with comments written in a foreign language. In that case I'm not necessarily interested in actually reading that text, but I'd like to see at least what these characters are/look like. Another case when this does happen in practice is (as Lars mentioned in his message) for Emojis, in which case I'd like to have at least an idea of what the Emoji represents. Yet another case would be when visiting a website written in a foreign language with eww, again I'm probably not interested in reading the text but seeing tofus is just ugly. And so forth.