Re: Suggest installing more fonts?

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Suggest installing more fonts?
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2020 08:23:22 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> I doubt it's as few as 30, assuming we want to cover every living
> script and some popular dead ones.

I don't think we do, really.  Listing the major fonts in a help text
like this would be sufficient.

>> Popping up a warning buffer (at the first time tofu is displayed per
>> session) may be OK
>
> That's not doable, because you cannot pop up anything in the middle of
> redisplay.  We could perhaps use the delayed-warnings mechanism, but
> is that sufficient?

I think so.

>> Displaying a message in the echo area (again, only the first time we
>> tofu in a session) saying something like "Unable to display character;
>> type `C-h TO-BE-DETERMINED' for more information" might also be an
>> option.
>
> Not from redisplay, we cannot do that.

Not directly, but we could add a mechanism for making Emacs do that.
I.e., as with delayed-warnings, we could add a list of actions to be
performed after redisplay is over...  I.e., generalise delayed-warnings
somewhat.

>> Or...  adding help echo text props to tofu?
>
> To each one of them?

That's probably overkill.  Say, the first 100 of those in a buffer?
Only the first?