Re: Suggest installing more fonts?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Suggest installing more fonts?
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2020 22:13:16 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2020 14:48:00 -0400
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> - Does the problem only affect Emacs and not other applications?
>   If so why?

AFAIK, "most other applications", at least those I could investigate,
come with fixed lists of fonts to use for each script.  These lists
are maintained for each OS and are adjusted as the OS version and the
fonts change.  This method has its advantages and also its
disadvantages; I think both are quite clear.

> - Do users immediately run to search the internet for answers without
>   even trying to interact any further with their Emacs instance to
>   investigate the problem first?
> - If they do interact with Emacs, what do they do?  Do they move the
>   mouse over the tofu?  Do they look for some help some other way?

The rational thing to do is to use "C-u C-x =", see the script of the
problematic character(s), and then find and install some font that
covers those characters.