Re: Proposal for an Emacs User Survey

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Proposal for an Emacs User Survey
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2020 22:08:01 +0300

On 16.10.2020 17:33, Marcel Ventosa wrote:

Shutting our eyes to actual user behavior also precludes
understanding.

 From what I just read from Thibaut, a free software compatible solution
to replace MELPA is underway. Refusing to draw attention to something is
not "shutting our eyes".

To make a replacement for something, you need to know what something is, and why it exists.

ignore a project that has done a lot to popularize Emacs over the
years.

I fail to understand the narrative that pushes popularity over all
else.

Strawman.

I thought your argument was popularity, something that keeps coming up
in these kinds of discussions. What was your argument?

You made a strawman claiming that I somehow push popularity "over all else".

My argument is that they have done a lot for the community. Some of those effects reach the core too.

And picking on 2-3 "ideologically impure" packages (out of several
thousands!) that are distributed on MELPA is counter-productive.

We could turn this argument around and ask why the developers who
maintain MELPA don't remove `2-3' packages that promote non-free
software. What came first, the GNU Emacs or the MELPA?

No, we couldn't "turn this argument around". Those statements are not even remotely on the same level.

Some Emacs maintainers themselves are known to use proprietary software. And use Emacs on proprietary OSes. And yet, somehow, MELPA is the odd one out?

You can't be effective at affecting change anyway, if you don't know
what's going on outside.

Indeed. As I recall, RMS suggested open questions instead of multiple
choice questions that "shape their behavior". With open questions, there
is no need to mention MELPA at all in fact. With open questions, the
insights that could be derived would be much more interesting.

So we won't suggest ELPA as an option either? What about the users who don't know the difference? MELPA is also an ELPA, after all (as in "Emacs Lisp Package Archive").

Didn't Philip show a prototype that didn't use JavaScript?

That's very good news if the issue has been settled.

It's solvable, let's put it this way.

it is unfortunate how Emacs leadership does little to follow the
external, "unofficial" polls.

What do you mean by this?

I don't recall any single change in Emacs' behavior that resulted
from an external poll or survey.

Why should Emacs development be guided by (external) survey results?

Why should it use the scientific method? Why should it pay attention to other people, or the world at large? Is that what you're asking?

would think it should be guided, for the most part, by what the people
putting their time into it want to create, within the principles of the
philosophy of the project and its goals.

It's not a painting or a novel. It's a software project, with certain expectations of practicality.

Also, anyone can suggest
changes and convince the maintainers that these changes are in the best
interest of the project (and contribute the actual changes if they are
accepted).

No, not "anyone can convince".

And like I said: no attention to external polls. Which is what you asked me to clarify.

If they are not, Emacs makes it quite simple to implement changes for
personal "improvements". I have written functions that serve me
personally and change the behavior of Emacs to suit my needs. There are
limits to what I can do, which could be pushed if I dedicated a greater
effort to do so. How is that unfair?

You're veering the discussion off to the side for some reason.

But if we're talking of "unfair", releasing Emacs under GPL, enabling such excellent extensibility that multiple communities spring up over years, ones brimming with creativity and people dedicating years of their spare time to the extensions, and then badmouthing them from afar as though they violated some existing contract (social or legal), *that* is unfair.