Re: Proposal for an Emacs User Survey

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Proposal for an Emacs User Survey
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2020 23:59:07 -0400

  > On that page, we are warning users with below wording.

Yes.  I wrote those words.  It is crucial to have them there, because
we mention Windows and MacOS.  Where we mention them, we should explain
why they are unjust -- because otherwise people will assume we share
the usual amoral attitude towards them.

I think of it as a denunciation, not a warning.

Why is it ok to mention Windows and MacOS there?  Because everyone
using a computer already knows about them.  See node References
in the GNU Coding Standards (https://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/).

I hope that only a minority of Emacs users know about MELPA, and I'd
rather not inform the rest about it.  But if something is going to
inform them anyway, it is better to do it with a denunciation.

--
Dr Richard Stallman