Re: How to make Emacs popular again: Use monospaced fonts less

From: Protesilaos Stavrou
Subject: Re: How to make Emacs popular again: Use monospaced fonts less
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2020 10:46:32 +0300

On 2020-10-14, 09:09 +0200, Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:

> Protesilaos Stavrou <info@protesilaos.com> writes:
>
>> To add to Juri's comment, many typefaces I tested exhibit this
>> jumpiness: Roboto, FiraGO, Inter, Noto Sans, Open Sans, DejaVu Sans…
>
> I'm using DejaVu Sans, and all the digits are the same width here.

True for DejaVu Sans.  Though it is the difference between the width of
a space and a character/digit that causes the issue for me.  Again, this
is minor and subjective.

Note that some typefaces default to proportional spacing for digits.
Some fonts have a "tabular figures" configuration to enable fixed-space
digits.[1] It can be controlled by fontconfig, but that is outside
Emacs' control, as far as I can tell.[2]

[1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenType_feature_tag_list
[2]: https://www.freedesktop.org/software/fontconfig/fontconfig-user.html

--
Protesilaos Stavrou