Re: Include leaf in Emacs distribution

From: Thibaut Verron
Subject: Re: Include leaf in Emacs distribution
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2020 16:14:10 +0200

Le mar. 13 oct. 2020 à 15:23, Stefan Monnier
<monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> a écrit :

> > IMO it would help with the "emacs wizard" proposal. For instance, if
> > there is a "install undo-tree and enable it globally" option on the
> > wizard, it could generate something like this on the emacs init file:
> >
> > (use-package undo-tree
> >   :ensure t
> >   :diminish undo-tree-mode
> >   :config (global-undo-tree-mode))
>
> Why not just use
>
>     (global-undo-tree-mode 1)
>
> ?
>
> Assuming the `gnu-elpa` package is installed (which I'd hope we could
> bundle with Emacs-28), then it should do pretty much the same as your
> `use-package` code above,

What would this gnu-elpa package contain, exactly? All the packages
from GNU Elpa?

Regardless, for the example at point, you can replace undo-tree with a
package from non-GNU Elpa.

> except for the `diminish` which seems
> orthogonal (if we think it should be diminished by default, then we
> should change undo-tree accordingly).

But diminish.el is only available on Melpa (and, I assume, soon on
non-GNU Elpa).