Re: inverse of add-to-list: remove-from-list

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: inverse of add-to-list: remove-from-list
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2020 09:57:13 -0400

Uwe Brauer [2020-10-13 10:42:46] wrote:
> This has always bothered me: for example
>
> (add-to-list 'org-export-filter-src-block-functions
>          'my-html-filter-src-blocks)

I think this reflects a misdesign in `org-export-filters-alist`.
It should use hooks rather than lists of functions.  This way you'd use
`add-hook` instead of `add-to-list`.

> (remove-from-list 'org-export-filter-src-block-functions
>          'my-html-filter-src-blocks)
>
> Does not exist. Wouldn't that be useful?

I think if we want to add something to remove an element from a variable
holding a list, then we should make it accept a "place" rather than
a symbol as argument.  I.e. make it the opposite of `push` (or
`cl-pushnew`) rather than the opposite of `add-to-list`.

        Stefan "who dislikes `add-to-list`"