Re: Proposal for an Emacs User Survey

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Proposal for an Emacs User Survey
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2020 08:27:36 +0300

* Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> [2020-10-13 06:53]:

>   > > Warning you mention is used on Emacs download page, see
>   > > https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/download.html
>
>   > Great, so there is precedent ! Why is it acceptable and sufficient on
>   > the main download page but not acceptable in a survey?
>
> I am not sure what those words mean.  I will look at that page
> and see if I can figure it out.  Would people like to explain what
> part or aspect of that page is at issue here?

You missed to follow the thread. Discussion was about warning users
about non-free software in the survey itself.

On that page, we are warning users with below wording.

Nonfree systems

The reason for GNU Emacs's existence is to provide a powerful editor for the
GNU operating system. Versions of GNU, such as GNU/Linux, are the primary
platforms for Emacs development.

However, GNU Emacs includes support for some other systems that volunteers
choose to support.

The purpose of the GNU system is to give users the freedom that proprietary
software takes away from its users. Proprietary operating systems (like other
proprietary programs) are an injustice, and we aim for a world in which they do
not exist.

To improve the use of proprietary systems is a misguided goal. Our aim, rather,
is to eliminate them. We include support for some proprietary systems in GNU
Emacs in the hope that running Emacs on them will give users a taste of freedom
and thus lead them to free themselves.