Re: How to request changes in Emacs

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: How to request changes in Emacs
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2020 07:59:17 +0300

* Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> [2020-10-13 06:50]:

>   > Only that "report Emacs bug" does not sound as free form feedback of
>   > any kind. I know it is, but it does not sound as enhancement
>   > request. It takes time for person to realize that.
>
> That is a good point.  Do people have concrete suggestions for
> how to make it clearer how to request changes etc?

We discussed that in this same thread, concrete proposal would be to
expand the menu item Help -> Send Bug Report

The item "Send Bug Report" could be placeholder for something like
"Tell us how to improve" which would expand in more submenu options,
something like:

- Send Bug Report

- Suggest Emacs improvements

- Send email to Help GNU Emacs

- Join the Help GNU Emacs mailing list

- Leave Help GNU Emacs mailing list

The item "Suggest Emacs improvements" would be similar like
report-emacs-bug, with different wordings, as user is not speaking
about the bug, email could be sent to mailing list. It would be free
form, and it could also include various information of the system
similar as report-emacs-bug

GNU Hyperbole has similar features built in.

Drew Adams could give maybe better references to emails in this
thread, you could review the thread by the subject How to make Emacs
popular again.