Re: Include leaf in Emacs distribution

From: Mingde (Matthew) Zeng
Subject: Re: Include leaf in Emacs distribution
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2020 16:53:05 -0400

> Why would you say that there is no progress?  It seems to me that
> exactly the opposite is the case.
>
> See: https://github.com/jwiegley/use-package/issues/282

>From what I see the copyright assignment is almost done on the use-package
>side.

>From a pure user's perspective, I very much prefer to use a package named
>`use-package` instead of `leaf` to manage my emacs packages.

Besides, when choosing a package to use, I personally prefer a matured (in
terms of the number of years in development and number of contributors) and a
popular (in terms of [m]elpa downloads or Github stars or discussions on
forums/reddit) package. These are indications to me that the package is good,
useful, and that people trust it. use-package excels in all these places.

Maybe leaf has a better design or has better code quality, I haven't personally
read the sourcecode so I have no say here.

Therefore I suggest to wait a bit until the use-package team finalizes the
copyright assignment and merge that instead.

Anyways no offence intended toward leaf, it is a cool pakcage and I might try
it some day. However I just don't think it would be a really good idea for it
to be part of emacs itself.

--
Mingde (Matthew) Zeng