Re: Proposal for an Emacs User Survey

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Proposal for an Emacs User Survey
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2020 21:34:51 +0300

* Thibaut Verron <thibaut.verron@gmail.com> [2020-10-11 20:37]:
> > MELPA probably collects information of IP addresses, locations, and
> > number of downloads, thus they have enough data and possibilities for
> > their own survey. By the way, it disallows me to browse the MELPA.ORG
> > website without Javascript, I do not know if it is free or not.
>
> LibreJS only blocks two scripts on melpa.org: a twitter widget, and a
> google analytics snippet.
>
> Neither of those are necessary for using the site.

I expect that any site promoting Emacs based software is accessible
through Emacs and that such site should not expose me to Google
Intelligence and Twitter, I don't like being tracked across other
websites.

I can perfectly use http://elpa.gnu.org through Emacs

I cannot at all use https://melpa.org through Emacs, it is
impossible. It is common sense not to design sites in such stunned way
(sorry I was looking for synonyms of "stupid" not to be too bold).

Website of MELPA is ridiculous. If it promotes Emacs, it should be
accessible through Emacs. And now we discuss what Emacs users want,
example me, I don't want to be pushed around.

MELPA

* Packages <--- I can click, but nothing happens
* Getting started <--- I can click, but nothing happens
* GitHub <--- brings me to Microsoft Github (THE LINK WORKS!!! YEAH!!!)

MELPA (Milkypostman’s Emacs Lisp Package Archive)

* Up-to-date packages built on our servers from upstream source
* Installable in any Emacs with 'package.el' - no local version-control tools
needed
* Curated - no obsolete, renamed, forked or randomly hacked packages
* Comprehensive - more packages than any other archive
* Automatic updates - new commits result in new packages
* Extensible - contribute recipes via github, and we'll build the packages

This site requires JavaScript to function. You can browse and install packages
directly from Emacs (see MELPA's README.md on GitHub).

Source code for this page →
JavaScript license information

-------- end of inaccessible MELPA website --------

I cannot wait for non-GNU ELPA to begin.

Jean