RE: How to make Emacs popular again: Use monospaced fonts less

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: How to make Emacs popular again: Use monospaced fonts less
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2020 08:24:39 -0700 (PDT)

> > Never bothered me even a tiny bit.
>
> So I guess you won't be sending bug reports about it.  But someone
> else would, and the measures to avoid that up front are so easy I
> don't see why we are arguing.

True, but the measures to remove the annoyance
are also simple.  It's a matter of one attribute
of one face (since `mode-line-inactive' inherits
from `mode-line').

Dunno whether we should change the default
immediately - I don't see a crying need to do
that.  But I'm going to try using it, myself.

Many users already use some library/package or
theme that provides a customized mode-line.
If they haven't already, perhaps some such will
use variable-pitch fonts.  It many users start
using variable-pitch in the mode-line then it
would be especially reasonable to consider
switching the default to variable-pitch.