Re: Include leaf in Emacs distribution

From: Thibaut Verron
Subject: Re: Include leaf in Emacs distribution
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2020 11:52:31 +0200

> As the name implies, use-package expresses a package's
> configuration in a single use-package macro.  So jweigley who is
> the use-package author expects one use-package per package, and
> they are all written at the top level with no nesting[1].

Even if it is what the author expects, it is not enforced. For
instance, I have several instances in my init.el of packages with two
use-package specifications: one to specify where to find the package
and one to apply settings.

And I have several "use-package emacs" instances for settings which
don't belong to any package.

> And
> the keywordless use-package will be converted into a `require`
> statement using the first argument.

Isn't it eval-after-load?
In particular, if there are no autoloads, you need to explicitly
"require" the package in :init, no?

> On the other hand, what the leaf manages is a "block of
> configuration". Therefore, leaf without the keyword will be
> converted to `prog1`.  And because it is a configuration block, a
> package configuration can be described in multiple leaves instead
> of one leaf.  Also, while jweigley expects use-package to be
> written without nesting, I expect the leaf statements to be
> nested according to the context.
>
> What I envisioned when I started the project was a picture of
> each individual setting mass, each leaf, doing its part to make
> up a whole, a big tree.  Because I envisioned multiple leaves for
> a single package in this way, I came up with the package name
> "leaf" instead of "package".

In usual tree terminology (both in graph theory and in botany), leaves
do not have children. So the name does not really convey the meaning
that leaves are expected to be nested.