Re: New multi-command facility displays in the wrong echo area.

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: New multi-command facility displays in the wrong echo area.
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2020 20:20:07 +0000

Hi Alan,

Yet another similar use case is when you type "C-x 8 RET" during Isearch: that reads the character's name/codepoint from the minibuffer.

This goes wrong. With C-x b active on frame F1, move to F2, start an isearch, C-x 8 RET, use TAB completion to select a character and RET. This displays

   Switch to buffer (default xdisp.c):  [Failing I-search: su�]

on F2. On terminating the isearch and completing the C-x b action in F2's minibufer, the buffer switch has worked in frame F1.

It doesn't go wrong, it has moved the minibuffer from frame F1 to frame F2.

The minibuffer's contents, the C-x b, is acting on F1. It is surely wrong to have moved the minibuffer to F2.

It can perhaps be argued that it is wrong, but it's a different problem, and this behavior exists since Emacs 24.

FWIW, I don't think it is wrong: the minibuffer has indeed moved to F2, but when you press RET after choosing the buffer you want, the buffer switch happens in F1. And on a TTY, Emacs even goes back to F1.