Re: How to make Emacs popular again.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: How to make Emacs popular again.
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2020 09:41:57 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2020 17:57:12 -0400
> Cc: bobnewell@bobnewell.net, rms@gnu.org, rpluim@gmail.com,
> emacs-devel@gnu.org,
>  joaotavora@gmail.com, ghe@sdf.org,
>  Daniel Martín <mardani29@yahoo.es>
>
> > For interactive functions (a.k.a. "commands"), there's an ambiguity
> > here: should the link lead to the Emacs user manual or to the Emacs
> > Lisp Reference manual?  We could show both, but that could confuse
> > users (as opposed to Lisp programmers).
>
> I think something like:
>
>     Also documented in the >Emacs user's manual<.
>     Also documented in the >ELisp programmer's reference<.

And now newcomers might be confused: which of these should they click?

To resolve the confusion, the "Also documented" part should be
replaced by something more specific.  But even then I'm not sure the
confusion will go away completely.  Sometimes it is better to have
only one watch, even if that watch is slightly askew, than having
several ones, each one showing a different time.