RE: How to make Emacs popular again.

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: How to make Emacs popular again.
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2020 13:39:46 -0700 (PDT)

> C-h f kill-line
> put point somewhere on 'kill-line' in the docstring
> C-h S
>
> Now making that more widely known would help, I think.

Yes.  A start is to what I do in `help-mode+.el':
change the help-echo on  a linked symbol, so it
includes mention of `C-h S'.  This trivial change
could be made to `help-mode.el'.

IOW, instead of just

 "mouse-2, RET: describe this symbol"

say:

 "mouse-2, RET: describe, C-h S RET: check manual"

That just requires this in `help-mode.el':

(define-button-type 'help-symbol
  :supertype 'help-xref
  'help-function #'describe-symbol
  'help-echo
  (purecopy "mouse-2, RET: describe this symbol, \
C-h S RET: check manual"))
___

As mentioned in another mail, we could enhance
`C-h S' to use more than the Emacs manual, in
which case that `help-echo' would say "manuals",
not "manual".