Re: How to make Emacs popular again.

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: How to make Emacs popular again.
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2020 14:22:01 +0000

I also didn't read the manual very often, because I didn't find it easily.

Can you suggest a way to make that easier for others in the future?

My suggestion would be to add links in the docstrings to the relevant chapter in the Emacs and Emacs Lisp manuals. Three examples:

kill-line would have a link to (info "(emacs)Killing")
kill-buffer would have two links, one to (info "(emacs)Buffers") and another to (info
"(elisp)Buffers")
call-process would have a link to (info "(elisp)Processes")

I think a link to the relevant chapter, as in the examples above, is better than a link to the relevant section or subsection. With this, users who follow that link would find more information about the general context of the command or function, and not just a similar documentation.