Re: Distributing packages with native emacs modules

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: Distributing packages with native emacs modules
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2020 14:06:39 -0700

> Actually, IIUC the `ada-mode` package in GNU ELPA also kind of does
> that, except I believe it uses a separate executable rather than
> a module.  [ I believe the same applies to `pdf-tools`.  ]

Yes. The installed package includes a file build.sh; the README
instructs the user to invoke that shell script to compile and install
the executable.

I did not try to automate invoking build.sh; this package doesn't change
often, and there are often issues with compiler version compatibility,
so requiring the user to manually invoke build.sh has not been a
problem.

It helps that this is for ada-mode and the code is written in Ada; users
of ada-mode are used to running the Ada compiler.

--
-- Stephe