RE: master a9f147a: Use the full name of the null byte/character, not it

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: master a9f147a: Use the full name of the null byte/character, not its abbreviation
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2020 12:34:12 -0700 (PDT)

> >> -@xref{Lisp and Coding Systems, inhibit-nul-byte-detection}.
> >> +@xref{Lisp and Coding Systems, inhibit-null-byte-detection}.
> >
> > I think this patch is ill-advised.
> >
> > AFAIK "NULL" is a pointer of zero value, whereas the byte/char of zero
> > value is called "NUL",
>
> NUL is the ASCII abbreviation (TLA) of the null character.

Yes.  The character is called the null character or
the null byte character, or sometimes a null byte.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Null_character

See bug #43780, which unfortunately was closed as "not a bug".

IMO, this variable renaming was gratuitous and ill-advised.

Can we please revert this renaming from "null" to "nul"?
Or if you insist that we allow the new name, with "nul",
can we at least unobsolete the former (and better) name,
with "null"?