Re: feature/icomplete-vertical

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: feature/icomplete-vertical
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2020 18:24:02 +0000

Just calculating the window dimensions is already a nontrivial task. There are two cases: a miniwindow-only frame, and the "normal" case. In the first case you need to use frame-height, and multiply it with the pixel height of the "default" face. In the second case you can get the maximal dimensions with max-mini-window-height, and multiply it by the pixel height of the "default" face. But you cannot just multiply max-mini-window-height by that height, that would be too easy. There are again two cases: either max-mini-window-height is an integer, in which case you can just do that multiplication, or it is a floating point number, in which case you have to multiply that number by frame-height and truncate it, and multiply the resulting number by the pixel height of the "default" face...

You underestimate the complexity of resizing the minibuffer window.

I do not, quite the contrary. Indeed the presentation above (whose purpose was to show that doing this is too complex) is simplified.

And even if your code works,

It's not my code, quite the contrary. I explained in every possible detail that nobody should have to do this.

I'd never use the default minibuffer window for displaying larger lists of vertically arranged objects. On GUIs use a separate child frame, on TTYs a side window instead.

There is no reason to not do something that can be done easily. You can look at and try the code I sent a few hours ago, it works perfectly well both in GUIs and on TTYs, with Emacs 24 to 28.