Re: Question collaborative editing - Wikipedia reference

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: Question collaborative editing - Wikipedia reference
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2020 12:20:17 -0500

On 05 Oct 2020, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>>> I don't see why this should be in Emacs itself rather than in a GNU
>>> ELPA package.
>> For users to easier access real time simultaneous collaborative
>> editing features.
>
>I don't see why that should motivate putting it into emacs.git rather
>than elpa.git.

Both of these are options for "endorsed publication".  That is, they involve
putting the code in a third-party location in a way that implies some form of
(perhaps qualified or conditional) endorsement by that third party.

But I wasn't talking about endorsed publication.  I was just proposing a place
with a public git repository, issue tracker, etc, in order to make development
and testing easier.  Right now, Qiantan is posting successive versions of
crdt.el to a mailing list -- which is not optimal :-).  Having a public version
control repository makes it easier for others to follow development closely,
offer patches, and so on.

What ELPA and the Emacs tree offer is a superset of that.  Maybe some day
crdt.el will be at a point where the stuff in the superset is desirable, but
we're not at that stage yet, and I hadn't expected anyone to raise them in
response to my suggestion.

Best regards,
-Karl