Re: feature/icomplete-vertical

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: feature/icomplete-vertical
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2020 12:25:13 +0000

I did not see objections from Stefan. And the objection of Eli is only, AFAIU, that in a longer term a better solution should be implemented.

No, my objections are that your proposal is not safe wrt recursive editing, and will affect uses of mini-windows other than prompting the user, where these effects aren't intended.

AFAIU, Stefan agreed that this is a problem in your proposal.

I don't know which proposal you refer to in that sentence, but I guess it's the (second) patch I sent on bug#43572 a week ago, against Emacs C core.

The solution in this thread works at the Lisp level, and will not affect other uses of the miniwindow, because it relies on a minibuffer-local variable. AFAICS it is also safe wrt recursive editing.