Re: Question collaborative editing - Wikipedia reference

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Question collaborative editing - Wikipedia reference
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2020 22:48:15 +0300

* Caio Henrique <caiohcs0@gmail.com> [2020-10-04 21:45]:
> Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:
>
> > If anybody has practical use from real life, I would like to know
> > about it.
>
> Last week a friend and I had to write together a text document for a
> university class. We used google meet to talk and google docs to work on
> the text document at the same time. That was very efficient and we
> finished our work in just a couple of hours. This use case is very
> common in my university.

Thank you for description of the practical use case.

Alright. It would not work for me. That would mean that I would expose
my information from business to Google servers, and I have no clue of
security.

I have just tried Gobby editor, it works well for collaboration in
real-time, and by launching it creates the server.

By the way, for talking I would use self-hosted Mumble server, client
works with every device.

> None of my friends use Emacs (they use libreoffice, notepad, vim, ms word
> etc), so an Emacs-to-Emacs only collabaration system would not be useful
> for me.

libreoffice and vim are free software

Who uses notepad, does not need more than notepad.

MsWord is proprietary software, I would never recommend students to
get dependent on such.

Thus good solution for time being would be Gobby and Jitsi or Mumble
speech servers, both are free software.