Re: A solution to display completion candidates after point in a minibuf

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: A solution to display completion candidates after point in a minibuffer
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2020 22:40:44 +0000

Hi Stefan,

Two comments I forgot to add in my previous mail:

[ FWIW, I just tried it in my local Emacs where I replaced the ad-hoc `resize_mini_window` scrolling with the use of `scroll-conservatively`, and I get the behavior that you seem to prefer. ]

Yes, that's not surprising, what your code does is essentially (or very close to) what I suggested to do in bug#43519 and bug#43572, except that you do it unconditionally, when I suggested to do this only conditionally, when a variable is set.

[ Side note: I had sent a better recipe for that using a repetition of `foo/..` so as to avoid having to create any new files or directories. ]

No, your recipe won't work, because it is necessary for the recipe to work to have at least five completion candidates displayed, which is why the recipe creates five subdirectories. Of course I could have created a recipe assuming that emacs -Q is started inside the Emacs source tree, but that would have been, at least for me, much harder to reproduce and test with various versions of Emacs.