Making TTY menus more visual

From: Jared Finder
Subject: Making TTY menus more visual
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2020 23:16:49 -0700

Hi lovely developers, I'm a long time Emacs user, first time Emacs patch submitter. :)

Right now in Emacs on a TTY, clicking on the menu bar with the mouse pops up menu navigation through tmm.el.  I think it would make more sense for mouse clicks to pop up visual menus via menu-bar-open-mouse by default.

But I get why that's not the current default. These visual menus currently behave very poorly with a mouse on a Linux TTY: Clicking <mouse-1> anywhere selects the currently selected item, not the item you clicked on. I have a prototype fix for this that I've been working on. If you think it makes sense, I can finish it up. I've attached the changes in case you want to take a look.

Let me know your thoughts.

  -- MJF